The Nursing Homes Support Scheme is a scheme of financial support for people who need long-term Nursing Home care. Under the Nursing Homes Support Scheme (also known as the Fair Deal scheme), you will make a contribution towards the cost of your care and the State will pay the balance.
This Scheme is for families whose elderly parent is deemed to be in medical need of residential living support. It may appear difficult to understand at first and many people report that they are worried that the families assets will become encumbered with debt arising from participation in it.
The administration of the scheme is run by the HSE who have issued the following guidance to families interested in participation Nursing Home Support Scheme –HSE Website
There are three stages to the application process which may take up to 4 months to complete
- Application form and financial disclosure
- Evaluation by HSE for entry to the scheme
- Allocation of financial support
The scheme is based on the principle that those who can pay do pay and those who can’t don’t. Some level of financial support will be offered to most people. The assessment of how much you pay is derived from the financial disclosure, monies are awarded towards the cost of care based on this evaluation.
There are three overwhelming financial advantages to participation
- The HSE will provide some level of financial support to most people.
- The HSE negotiates the agreed weekly rate with the Nursing Home (usually €1,150 for Nursing Homes in Dublin). This means that your relative will benefit from this rate rather than negotiate a private rate which is nearly always a higher rate. Furthermore, should the families contribution to the cost of care prove difficult, The Fair Deal Scheme provides for a method of part-deferred payments. Settlement being made when both partners pass away and the families affairs are being finalised.
- The HSE provides for Nursing Home Care in both HSE run Nursing Homes and also buys services from Private Nursing Homes. The rate remains the same regardless.
CareCabs work with many families around these difficult times and have become familiar with the “ins and outs” of The Fair Deal Scheme. We would be very happy to provide our customers and their families with information and advise if requested. Consultancy services are also available.